What is Promotional Product Advertising? Here’s Your Answer…
If you’re a business owner or marketing professional, it’s likely that from time to time, you run into the stage where you’re brainstorming on:
- How can I attract more new customers?
- How can I keep the current customers excited to buy again?
- How can I attract new talent to our organization?
- or, how can we keep talented people within the organization?
When you’re in your brainstorm and research phases, you’ll probably see several advertising options that help to solve these issues: Facebook ads, Google Ads, Bing Ads, Billboards, PR, promotional products, and several other things. If you’ve never used or heard the term “promotional product advertising”, it’s likely that when you see this solution, it could completely confuse you, and you’d be asking “What is promotional product advertising?”.
That’s where this article will help.
- I’ll answer the question, “What is promotional product advertising?”
- I’ll share some stats and facts so you’ll know how it compares to other forms of advertising
- and, I’ll give you some examples of promotional product advertising campaigns
On a side note…If you’re interested in using promotional product advertising within your organization, give us a call at (210)564-7749 or leave your information here. We’d love to help you achieve your sales goals using custom promo products!
Now, let’s get onto the real meat and potatoes…
A Little History
Promotional product is said to date back to the Babylonian era, but I’d guess it might go further back than that. Items like coins, shields, and weaponry were custom engraved to build awareness of the Babylonian empire. Custom products grew to be well known ways to build awareness of a powerful empire, but it took centuries before it became a form of advertisement for businesses as well.
With the invention of printing technologies came many more opportunities to advertise and to print advertising messages on many different items. Now, promotional products range from McDonald’s Happy Meal toys to the everyday business card, and many things in between.
What is Promotional Product Advertising?
According to MBASKool.com, a “Promotional Product” is:
Any product or item which is given for the promotion of a company or any event and the like is called a promotional product. They usually carry the name, logo, tagline or message of a company or an event. They are intended to promote that particular activity by means of advertising.
When a promotional product is used for advertising, it is strategically placed so that it gets:
- and Sales for the Advertising Business
As a result, promotional products can be used as an alternative (or in conjunction) with other forms of advertising like Facebook, Google, PR, Billboards, or others. Promotional product advertising is a very effective marketing tactic to add into a marketing plan.
Why Use Promotional Product Advertising vs. Other Forms of Advertising?
Each form of advertising has its pros and cons, but there are some mighty good reasons to consider promotional product advertising. Let me tell you a few…
- Customers appreciate promo items in comparison to other forms of advertising
- Promo items can give you a higher # of impressions for the cost in comparison to other forms of advertising
- Recipients of promo items typically have a favorable view of advertisers
Some Stats to Show Trends of Promotional Product Advertising vs. Other Forms
According to studies done by the Promotional Product Association International (PPAI)…
1. Promotional Products are ranked #3 for fastest growth behind internet ads and mobile ads.
(Image Source: PPAI)
In 2015, businesses spent $20.8 billion dollars on custom promo items, they held a 7% market share, and the sales increased by 4%.
2. Promotional Products are discarded much less than other forms of advertising. In fact, 81% of people keep promo products more than 1 year, and 40% keep them more than 6 years!
Sometimes, people don’t make a buying decision right away. With some forms of advertising, it might be hard for a prospect to remember your company info if they don’t make an immediate buying decision, but promotional products can be kept for when the information is needed.
3. Promotional products are the most effective advertising medium to reach people of all ages.
Since promotional products are not contingent on any technology, you don’t have to worry about compatibility, or whether the target audience is smart phone users, magazine readers, or what type of computer they have. You can give promotional products to all age ranges and people technology savvy or not.
4. Promotional Products increase the customer recall and reaction to your brand = MORE SALES!
People remember brands and buy from brands they trust. Promotional products help to build rapport, increase consumer brand recognition, and make them more prone to buy!
Final Words answering “What is Promotional Product Advertising?”
The goal of this article was to explain “What is promotional product advertising?”. Hopefully the information here gives you a good explanation, and begins to answer your questions about this great form of advertising. Here’s some other resources for you to read for more information…
Other Articles I’ve Written on Promotional Product Advertising:
- 10 Steps to the Right Promo Product for Your Campaign
- 10 Reasons Why You Should Use Custom Promo Products
- 11 Key Performance Indicators You Can Impact with Custom Promo Items
- How to Strategically Place Custom Promo Items in a Campaign
- How to Budget for Custom Promo Items
- How Custom Promo Items Can Help Your Custom Buying Journey
Want a Free Consultation on Promotional Product Advertising? Call (210)564-7749 Now.
If you’re trying to decide if promotional product advertising is a good fit for your campaign, give us a call and we’ll schedule a free consultation with a marketing specialist for you.
Now, it’s Your Turn…
Have you tried promotional product advertising? Have you seen it used before? What are your thoughts on it? Leave your comments and questions below.